This week’s guest is Nathan Hirsch. Nathan has been an entrepreneur since 2006 when he started his first venture from his college dorm room, buying and selling student textbooks. He and his company experienced rapid exponential growth, soon becoming a multi-million dollar Amazon seller.
Nathan is the founder and CEO of FreeeUp, a virtual assistant marketplace that connects business owners with the top 1% of the talent pool of freelancers and virtual assistants. He found that despite his rapid growth in his business, he had trouble finding reliable, skilled virtual assistants to help him grow. Nathan decided to take the initiative and build a network of freelancers that can be accountable for those who need top talent.
Finding quality help is always difficult, so the fact that Nathan has already done the vetting process on freelancers provides immense value.
In this episode we cover the following topics with Nathan:
- [2:52] Nathan’s experience using platforms like Fiverr and Upwork, and why he decided to start Freeeup
- [7:18] The biggest mistakes businesses make when hiring talent
- [9:02] The difference between followers, doers, and experts
- [11:29] How to screen freelancers
- [16:13] Communication is key when working with freelancers, and red flags to watch out for
- [19:30] Background on the Freeeup platform
- [22:30] Nathan’s advice on how to correct problems and part ways with underperforming freelancers
- [24:43] Working with people who are in vastly different time zones
- [26:55] Culture is still important even when working with remote talent
- [29:00] Why Freeeup is different than other platforms
- [31:24] Final thoughts and advice from Nathan
Where to Follow Nathan:
Where to Find Dorothy:
Join the email list and have a donation made on your behalf to a featured non-profit. You can join here, where you will also find a listener survey to fill us in on how we can bring you the most value!
Follow Dorothy on Instagram @dorothyillson to keep up with episode premiers and all things Do Well and Do Good!